Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Conscience just ahead

Back to My life in spaghetti homepage

My life in Spaghetti - Conscience just ahead
We all used to love Pinocchio when we were little (I still do), we even tried to be him :) Sometimes we still do, now that we're bit older. But when it's the turn for someone else to lie to us, that would be a problem!

So, when you realize that you've been lied to, the best thing to do is to say nothing about it and proceed with your conversation with the liar as if you haven't realize anything. Don't confront the liar immediately because you will not be able to take any additional information from him. Information are important to help you be sure about his lie, then you decide whether to confront the person at that time or hold off to figure how you can best use this insight to your advantage ;) And while proceeding with the conversation, here are some signs that can help you detect a lie:

  • He won’t look you in the eyes while speaking
  • If he says I am happy but only his mouth shows it, he is definitely lying
  • He will get so defensive in his conversation
  • He will try to step away from you a bit as if he is trying to escape the conversation
  • He will touch his nose or ear or reach for his face as if he's trying to hide his expression or face's color change 
  • If you ask him “Did you cheat on me?” He will answer with your same words saying: “No I didn't cheat on you.” Or he will give you a lecture about his believes instead of answering like: “You know how I think & that I'm against these things”
  • He will sound more like a machine when talking and moving
  • He would answer your question but he won't ask you one in return. Like when a guy asks his girlfriend if she’s ever been tested for AIDS and she responds with “Yes, of course! I do annual checkups, I even do blood donation, so I am good..." And that's it. Then, she is lying because if she was that concerned about her health as her answer implied, wouldn't she ask him the same question in return?
  • If he says “I love you” while frowning, he is definitely lying
  • He will start telling you tons of things until he sells you his story and loose the main subject
  • He would want the subject changed, and when it is,  he’s in a more relaxed mood 
  • He would say things like “To be totally honest” and “Why would I lie to you?”
  • He would ask you to repeat your question as if he is trying to give time to himself to think about an answer like  “Where did you hear that?” or “Could you be more specific?”. 
  • He would answer your question with another one like “Did I take out your report from the drawer? Is that what you’re asking me?”

So, if you are a real grown up Pinocchio here is a list to avoid when lying, and if you're not, you can use this list to detect the Pinocchio in your life. After all, we've all been a Pinocchio one day :)

PS: To make the text lighter, I would refer to a liar (he or she) by "he".

See you soon...



1 comment: